Thursday, June 19, 2008

Finding ease in seated poses

Good afternoon all, I have had some interesting insights on practicing seated poses. It all started with our Master class with Laura two weeks ago. She suggested we try to figure out why we do not care for a certain pose rather than just that we do not care for it. Forward folds have since I began yoga more challenging for me, physically as well as mentally. I have found ease in a few of them and practice those regularly. Recently, Maryiciasana I, which I tend to avoid if possible was the one I focused on due to Laura's class. What I found out was it became more clear to me when I found the action of the pelvis in the pose. Also, being on my sitbones and feeling my heels, although I am seated and close to the ground I am not rooting well in my seated asanas.
This had been my focus as of late which has helped. At home it is much easier to play and try differant props rather than get to a class and all of sudden need to be in it with out being fully able to make thoughtful adjustments. Mentally, I have to experience acceptance and allow myself to be there and feel the release. Mentally, in life in general I can become unrooted and consistently through out my day in many ways trying to ground myself in my thoughts so coming to pose such as this becomes more challenging. I am sure I will have more thoughts about this as I practice. I hope this is of interest and helps to bring some thoughtfulness to your practice around a pose that is more challenging to you. Namaste, Denise

No comments: