Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pose 1, Parsvakonasana

I would have to say this is one of my favorite standing poses, I like the strength and stability in the legs. My practice with this pose, focused on the abdominals, or the navel point. During the past two years I have been practicing pilates and have seen such a change in all of my mat work. Finding the engagement through the abdominals to support the pose, allows the pose the extend and open. As I did to each side, focusing on the navel point, engaging(drawing the navel in and up, like the zipper effect we want in pilates, allowed the chest to lift and open, the torso is freer to rotate and open so the head can turn to look up. Allowing myself to
focus here also took much of the weight out of the legs, and pressure from the knees.

In turn this gave me more freedom in the pose and allowed my mind to soften and feel more energized by the pose.

Peace and Light Denise

No comments: