Monday, May 24, 2010

Pose 3, Paschimottanasana

I have avoided this pose for years, until I could accept, be gentle and soften when it came to my tight hamstrings. When I began yoga I would wince when the teacher said it was time for paschimottanasana(intense stretch of the east) Such a deep forward fold. i have relyed heavily on my Iyengar leanings when practicing and have found several techiniques that have worked and been comfortable enough for me
to be in it for longer periods. Sitting up on a block is my favorite with a rolled blanket under my knees to support them. Inhaling deeply and coming forward as much as I am able from the hip hinge, and then moving forward slowly as my body releases. It produces such quiet concentration in me and is soothing for the body. It has taken many years and the persistance of my current teacher, Laura, to move quietly and deeply in the poses I wish to avoid. If you have not practiced this pose in awhile take time to visit with it. Peace, namaste'

No comments: